As a landlord, there are various ways to make your rental property more appealing to potential tenants. While cosmetic upgrades are essential, it is crucial to prioritize safety, especially when renting to families with children. Ensuring child safety in your rental property attracts responsible tenants and protects you as a landlord from potential liability.
Needing a Property Manager near Las Vegas and Henderson? Visit our office today!
Child Safety: A Top Priority
- Slip and fall injuries: Ensure non-slip mats are placed in the bathroom and other slippery areas.
- Hot water scalds: Set water heaters at a safe temperature to prevent burns.
- Unsecured windows: Install window locks or guards to protect young children.
- Burns from heat or flames: Place safety screens around fireplaces and heaters.
- Falls on stairs: Secure handrails and maintain well-lit paths to stairs, landings, and balconies.
To avoid discrimination against potential tenants based on family status and to minimize safety risks, it is vital to childproof your rental property.
Key Safety Measures
Implementing various safety measures can significantly reduce risks and create a secure environment for families with children. Here are some essential steps to consider for various aspects of your rental property:
- Staircases: Ensure handrails are sturdy and in good condition; allow tenants to install baby gates.
- Windows: Install window locks or guards to prevent accidental falls.
- Electrical hazards: Secure outlets and cables; equip outlets with childproof covers.
- Drawers & cabinets: Lock kitchen and bathroom storage to limit access to dangerous items.
- Alarm systems: Maintain smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; check their operation regularly.
- Outdoor areas: Build privacy fences; display proper signage; install speed bumps.
Partnering with a Professional Property Management Company in Nevada
Child safety is crucial for protecting young tenants and limiting your liability as a property owner in Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada. However, identifying and implementing all necessary safety measures can be challenging. Collaborating with an experienced property management company in Henderson ensures that your tenants are safe and sound and you are protected against lawsuits related to child safety.
All rental properties must be equipped with smoke detectors. Depending on your area, you may also be required to install carbon monoxide detectors. Multi-unit properties should have fire alarms in addition to smoke detectors within the units. Check the operation of all detectors and alarms throughout the year.
Protecting Outdoor Areas
Outdoor areas can also pose threats to young children. However, they can be uniquely challenging to handle. One option is to build a privacy fence to enclose any yard space where children and their families might play. You should also ensure proper signage throughout the facility (children playing, speed limits, etc.) and have speed bumps installed.
Hire an Experienced Property Management Company in Las Vegas
Safety is essential to protect young children on your property and limit your liability as a property owner. However, it can be challenging to identify and then implement all the required safety measures. Working with an experienced property management company helps ensure that your tenants are safe and sound and that you’re protected against lawsuits related to child safety. Reach out to us and learn more.